At the C&NN Gathering, I picked up some fact sheets on the health benefits from taking children outdoors. Does anyone have similar materials for other sectors, such as, academics, character, community, etc?

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve,
Bethe Almeras posted a very nice list just published by the National Wildlife Federation. I think I have attached it to this note, but if not, it is located in the Forum section of this site. John
Attachments:
Steve,

Check out the research section of the C&NN website: http://www.childrenandnature.org/research/
There are three volumes of references there that cite the research on the benefits of children in nature. Manny
Steve -- which fact sheet did you pick-up? I'd like to post it for others.
The Outdoor Discovery Center of Wildlands Unlimited. I think the 1 or 2-pagers are terrific because they are easy to read, provide the evidence without having to wade through a full report. I know there is lots of evidence on the Children and Nature website, but that requires deciphering and compiling. If others have already done this and are willing to share (such as the National Wildlife Federation...) then we can put together packets to help us make the case to others.

The only aspect of this that I noticed is that much of the evidence (and solutions) seems to be focused on younger children. I understand that much of this is transferable across age groups, but, while there is some targeted material on older kids, I would like to see more evidence of the multiple benefits of connecting with nature on older children, youth and young adults. I look forward to working on this together.

amy pertschuk said:
SteveHhagler said:
The Outdoor Discovery Center of Wildlands Unlimited. I think the 1 or 2-pagers are terrific because they are easy to read, provide the evidence without having to wade through a full report. I know there is lots of evidence on the Children and Nature website, but that requires deciphering and compiling. If others have already done this and are willing to share (such as the National Wildlife Federation...) then we can put together packets to help us make the case to others.

The only aspect of this that I noticed is that much of the evidence (and solutions) seems to be focused on younger children. I understand that much of this is transferable across age groups, but, while there is some targeted material on older kids, I would like to see more evidence of the multiple benefits of connecting with nature on older children, youth and young adults. I look forward to working on this together.

amy pertschuk said:
Steve,
I am having trouble figuring out how to reply on this site, but hopefully this is it. You have hit on a very important subject: how older kids can be changed by connecting with nature. You are right that full-scale research is hard to wade through (and not necessarily focused on older kids), and the 1-2 page benefit pieces are focused on younger kids. We hear many anecdotal stories about the life changing benefits for older kids, from Juan Martinez, Brother Yusuf and others, but I suspect not much evidence-based research exists. If it does, we need to know about it. I have stumbled across a few charter high schools in urban areas that have an environmental focus to their curriculum, and partner with organizations like The Nature Conservancy to bring the kids to the woods in the summer. One such high school is the High School for Environmental Studies in New York (97% of their kids go on to college). Some great research on older kids could be done in schools like this. I know the people there if you are interested. jt
I'm very excited that I just published my second book, Get Out! 150 Easy Ways to Kids and Grown-Ups to Get Into Nature and Build a Greener Future (Free Spirit, 2009), and in order to write it, I did a lot of research about the cognitive, social, health, spiritual, green, psychological benefits to children of getting outside. They're not fact sheets, but I'd be happy to pass along the info. Or you could check out my book!
Would love to see how you have it organized. Will check out your book as well. If you are willing to share your rolled up research, I would love to see it.

Thanks, s

Judy Molland said:
I'm very excited that I just published my second book, Get Out! 150 Easy Ways to Kids and Grown-Ups to Get Into Nature and Build a Greener Future (Free Spirit, 2009), and in order to write it, I did a lot of research about the cognitive, social, health, spiritual, green, psychological benefits to children of getting outside. They're not fact sheets, but I'd be happy to pass along the info. Or you could check out my book!
I ordered this book when we got back from the conference! I am going out to pick it up today!

Judy Molland said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service