C&NN Connect

Share, Learn, Listen, Lead

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to create a network of people who are teaching and mentoring children outdoors with a forest school approach. I am located in Vermont, and I am hoping to connect with others here in the northeastern part of the U.S.

I just found out I missed the opportunity to be a part of conference that Claire Warden was presenting at in Chicago! Feeling a little disappointed, I have been searching for equivalent opportunities to learn from our forest school practitioners from overseas.

Is there anything on the horizon here in the states?

Thanks!

-Amy Butler

teacher/naturalist in Montpelier, VT.

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Amy

Are you part of the Forest Education Initiative Group on Facebook? If not, then this is probably the most active place on the Internet right now for Forest School people. It's a UK page but becoming increasingly international.

Best wishes

Juliet

PS Just ran the Forest Kindergarten pilot 3 day course for pre-school practitioners. It went really well. 

I went to London and joined a Bridgwater College Level 4 training course (which I could do because I had been an educator here for a while and was certified).  These were the folks that brought the model to the UK and our teacher, John Blaney was nothing short of brilliant.  It was an intensive 5-day course that has been followed by distance coursework, but the work is all directly applicable to starting a forest school.  You can find out more by visiting the bridgwater site: http://www.bridgwater.ac.uk/course.php?sector=2&subject=39&....  It was an amazing experience.  I'm sorry that I don't know more about trainings in the northeast US. 

FYI, here is what I have done with the training: tinkergarten.com

Hi all, I stumbled across this thread researching Forest schools.

I recently got let go from my job in local government over in England due to various cut backs etc. In play development back home. As a major part of my job I was going into schools and working with children via the forest schools ethos that I was lucky enough to be trained in. I,m currently in the US for 3 months (well one month left) and have fallen in love with the place, Boston in particular.

So after that long introduction!... I,m just trying to research/look into the possibility of getting a temp/permanent visa out here to work and share ideas on various aspects of child led education such as forest schools. I thought it would be a popular idea out here, but I,m struggling to find too much information around.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated, and I apologise if I have posted this up in the wrong place!

Thanks

James


Hello James!

If you are still in New England I would love for you to come and visit us here in Vermont. It would be best to have a conversation, but I work in public schools using the forest school model and have great success here in Vermont. I'm about 4 hours north of Boston. Here's our website and contact info. I will be in the office all day October 23, 2013. Please give me a ring!

http://www.northbranchnaturecenter.org/eco.html


james hutton-ashkenny said:

Hi all, I stumbled across this thread researching Forest schools.

I recently got let go from my job in local government over in England due to various cut backs etc. In play development back home. As a major part of my job I was going into schools and working with children via the forest schools ethos that I was lucky enough to be trained in. I,m currently in the US for 3 months (well one month left) and have fallen in love with the place, Boston in particular.

So after that long introduction!... I,m just trying to research/look into the possibility of getting a temp/permanent visa out here to work and share ideas on various aspects of child led education such as forest schools. I thought it would be a popular idea out here, but I,m struggling to find too much information around.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated, and I apologise if I have posted this up in the wrong place!

Thanks

James

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad forest schools are successful for you, I had so much fun at 'work' with them. I will try my best to call you tomorrow then, however I have no phone and am using the internet from a coffee shop! I will sort something out though, it would be great to talk.

Thanks again for the reply

Speak to you soon,

James

Great James. Try me through Google chat? If not,...if you have a number I can call you at, you can email it to my work email. Do you use Facetime? 

-Amy

james hutton-ashkenny said:

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad forest schools are successful for you, I had so much fun at 'work' with them. I will try my best to call you tomorrow then, however I have no phone and am using the internet from a coffee shop! I will sort something out though, it would be great to talk.

Thanks again for the reply

Speak to you soon,

James


James,

Really wonderful speaking with you today. Please be in touch! We should continue our conversation in person soon.

Best,

Amy
Amy Butler said:

Great James. Try me through Google chat? If not,...if you have a number I can call you at, you can email it to my work email. Do you use Facetime? 

-Amy

james hutton-ashkenny said:

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad forest schools are successful for you, I had so much fun at 'work' with them. I will try my best to call you tomorrow then, however I have no phone and am using the internet from a coffee shop! I will sort something out though, it would be great to talk.

Thanks again for the reply

Speak to you soon,

James

Amy,

Thanks again for the chat, I dropped you an email in the week, hopefully it will get to you.

Cheers

James

Hi Amy,
I replied to a similar thread in a different area. I'll try here since this one seems more recently active. I am a preschool teacher and graduate student very interested in outdoor education. I was doing some research for a project, trying to find out more about Forest School programs and came across this site. I am just browsing it a bit at the moment. You mentioned a possible training in 2013 in the Northeast. Has such an event taken place already? I was just wondering how I would be able to find out more about it, what it is like and/or the requirements for attending. If it has taken place, I'd still love to find out more about it - how the training went, what the training entailed...possibility of future events. I'm interested in learning more from both an educator's perspective - to be able to use such an approach with my students but also from a research perspective as I'm trying to focus my graduate work on outdoor education.
Thanks,
Stacey

Hello all,

We have started a parent led once a week type forrest school in Orlando FL. Its focus is on homeschoolers mainly because they are the ones available to do this. Just an idea for a transition part-time group until you can get a full fledged one off the ground. We are on Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/Orlando-Area-Homeschooling-Community/

Amazing time yesterday in the MUD! Next week FIRE!

 We are also filming a documentary about Nature Play featuring Forest kindergartens in Denmark and Norway: https://vimeo.com/76308562­

We enrolled our daughter in a Danish Forrest Kindergarten for 5 weeks and filmed the experience. Her gross motor skills improved so much she is now like a free runner. She also got an opportunity for language immersion. When it rains she begs "mommy can I go outside?" Interestingly she fell and broke her arm on a traditional playground the day before the trip. While in Denmark and Norway she had no major injuries playing in the woods. 

Hi Stacey,

I did offer an accredited course through a state college here in Vermont. The course was based on a program I teach in public schools called ECO- Educating Children Outdoors.  You can learn more about on our website, http://www.northbranchnaturecenter.org/eco.html   or cruise through our blog and find some of our education posts,  http://northbranchnaturecenter.blogspot.com/  . You will also find some Forest Preschool posts mixed in. 

I have lots of resources and I would be happy to share them with you to help with your graduate work. If you are not far from us here in Vermont, come for a visit and join us in the field with the children. I hope to offer the same course this summer in July.

Best,

Amy

amy@northbranchnaturecenter.org

Stacey said:

Hi Amy,
I replied to a similar thread in a different area. I'll try here since this one seems more recently active. I am a preschool teacher and graduate student very interested in outdoor education. I was doing some research for a project, trying to find out more about Forest School programs and came across this site. I am just browsing it a bit at the moment. You mentioned a possible training in 2013 in the Northeast. Has such an event taken place already? I was just wondering how I would be able to find out more about it, what it is like and/or the requirements for attending. If it has taken place, I'd still love to find out more about it - how the training went, what the training entailed...possibility of future events. I'm interested in learning more from both an educator's perspective - to be able to use such an approach with my students but also from a research perspective as I'm trying to focus my graduate work on outdoor education.
Thanks,
Stacey

Hi,

Just joined CNN-Connect today as I found this thread by researching forest schools.  My son is 9 -- almost 10-- months old. I am a science teacher in an urban magnet STEM high school. My masters degree is in Zoology with a focus on inquiry/student-centered learning/conservation.  I "NEED" to send him to a forest school when he is three... and the thought of someday running one is just so tantalizing -- I can't help but look into it.  I'm in CT ... not far from VT at all.  Any possibilities of summer sessions?? This is literally a dream profession for my partner and I to pursue together ...

Happy New Year, everyone!

Marilyn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service