Christy Schultz's recent post about an event she is hosting in South Florida to the Everglades sparked my interest in Master Naturalists, state-based certification programs to promote environmental literacy and conservation similar to Master Gardener programs.  Christy is a Master Naturalist.  Do we have any others?  If so, how are you using your knowledge and skills to connect children with nature for their health and well-being?  Are you participating in state No-Child-Left-Inside coalitions?  Please share your successes and even your challenges.

For that matter, do we have any Master Gardeners on C&NN Connect and are you helping children with school and community gardens?  Let us hear from you.  John

Views: 509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kristen, this fear is a core issue. Richard Louv would be quick to say that there is a much greater danger to the health and well being of our children if we keep them under virtual house arrest with their electronics. I wish we could create a national media campaign that would eliminate this fear, but I don't think that is realistic, given the media in our face every day with one danger or another. We live in a society full of fear. I think we need to address the fear issue one parent at a time, one neighborhood at a time, and one community at a time, analyzing what exactly those fears are (stranger danger, injury, illness, getting lost, ??), and then suggesting that there is safety in numbers and have groups go out together to nearby nature with someone having a cell phone in case of need. No easy answer to this one. I would be interested in hearing how you responded to the lady anglers. jt

Kristen Beck said:
Thanks John I will put our contact info o=in my profile-
I did a program on nature deficit last night for a group of lady anglers- it was amazing to hear their comments about how unsafe it is to let their grand children and children outside to play-
how do we counter this?

John Thielbahr said:
Hi Kristen and thanks for your post letting us know about your program and expertise. You and Christy Schultz form a core resource group for teachers, parents and kids in Florida. I wish all states had the same. Please make sure folks on this site know how to contact you if they want to connect with you and your husband. Thanks again for your post. John

Kristen Beck said:
My husband and I are both Florida Master Naturalists- we own and operate Kayaks Etc offering kayaking tours for all ages 2 to 102. We donate our time, skills and equipment to several youth groups in the area. We had a successful year with Boys and Girls Club and the kayaking team we started there.

In the summer we run a kids kayak adventure camp where we are outdoors all day long inthe water, collecting critters to look identify and then release.

This fall we are adding Family Fun Days to our calendar- for very low price families can come kayak, canoe and stand up paddle in the Indian River Lagoon.

I agree John, there is no easy answer. I agree also that it will probably start with the generation we are teaching now to get back out into nature. We adults are slow to change and change brings its own fears. One of the ways I do this is through my own hiking group where I invite families to join me on a hike into nature. 

One of the fears I find is not only the stranger danger etc, but just getting your kids out into nature and not knowing what to do. I hear a lot of parents tell me this. My answer is "kids know what to do when exposed to nature, it's innate in all of us, all you have to do is expose them to it"  And by the end of the hike, they always come up to me and say "you are right, my kids had a blast!"  So I think it is just doing what we are doing, and one by one we will see a shift. 

It is key for us to share and stay connected in the quest though, this task can seem daunting at times and I think it is great to be in company of like minded people. 

Rhonda

Hi Everyone,

I am going to the NY State Master naturalist training on September 23-25, 2011.  It is offered by the Cornell Cooperative Extension and the class is being given at the Arnot Forest.  I am not sure if there are spots open, but you can google Master Naturalist and NY and you'll find it.

I am a cub scout den leader, and plan to use the training to lead groups of cubs on nature walks and environmental projects.  I would also like to start an outdoor exploration afterschool program in my area.  The local schools are not very cooperative (even though I have 2 boys in the district, and am a substitute teacher in the district).  Any suggestions how I could start a program without being involved with the district, or where I can find information about state regulations regarding outdoor education programming? Thanks!

Susie

Hi! I'm participating in the Maryland Master Naturalist program. This November, I completed the classroom/field trip curriculum, which makes me an "intern". The next step is to complete 40 hours of volunteer service at my host site: Oregon Ridge Nature Center, in Baltimore County, Maryland.

As part of my volunteer service, I want to develop 1 hr interpretive programs specifically geared for children. I also have a background in teaching dance, so I hope to somehow combine dance / creative movement / creative play.

The Master Naturalist training is an incredible experience. We had top-notch professionals as instructors, from the Dept. of Natural Resources, local scientists, and well-known authors and activists. It's been an incredible experience, and truly inspired me to make a difference.

Hi Neita,

Congratulations on this wonderful accomplishment.  I would like to put you in contact with another wonderful children and nature colleague of mine, Mary Hardcastle, who lives and works in Baltimore.  Perhaps she will have some suggestions for your volunteer hours in your area.  Her direct email is maryhardcastle@comcast.net .  I will send her your post so she knows about you when you contact her.  Thank you for dedicating your hours to connecting children with nature.  John

Neita Tyler said:

Hi! I'm participating in the Maryland Master Naturalist program. This November, I completed the classroom/field trip curriculum, which makes me an "intern". The next step is to complete 40 hours of volunteer service at my host site: Oregon Ridge Nature Center, in Baltimore County, Maryland.

As part of my volunteer service, I want to develop 1 hr interpretive programs specifically geared for children. I also have a background in teaching dance, so I hope to somehow combine dance / creative movement / creative play.

The Master Naturalist training is an incredible experience. We had top-notch professionals as instructors, from the Dept. of Natural Resources, local scientists, and well-known authors and activists. It's been an incredible experience, and truly inspired me to make a difference.

John, thank you! very kind of you. I'll contact her when I get home from work. I look forward to talking with her.

Neita, I just received a long email response from Mary Hardcastle.  She is very involved with other Master Naturalists and eager to connect with you.  She has another email address in addition to the one I gave you yesterday: mary.hardcastle@parksandpeople.org .  You might want to use both when you email her.  Many thanks and keep us posted on your project.  John

Neita Tyler said:

John, thank you! very kind of you. I'll contact her when I get home from work. I look forward to talking with her.

John, If you don't mind, please let Mary know that it looks like my email to her is getting held up; possibly the server thinks it is spam. I re-sent it this Monday morning, from the email I use here:  aneitatyler@gmail.com.

In any case, I have registered for their GBCAN: Greater Baltimore Children & Nature Collaborative, which will be held on Feb. 23.

Best,

Neita

I will let Mary know about the possible spam.  I think the gmail address may work, but I will let her know, and great that you have signed up for GBCAN.  You will make some great connections here.  Many thanks and all the best,  John

Neita Tyler said:

John, If you don't mind, please let Mary know that it looks like my email to her is getting held up; possibly the server thinks it is spam. I re-sent it this Monday morning, from the email I use here:  aneitatyler@gmail.com.

In any case, I have registered for their GBCAN: Greater Baltimore Children & Nature Collaborative, which will be held on Feb. 23.

Best,

Neita

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service