Invited visionary leaders of the school ground movement from Canada, England, Germany, Japan & Sweden will share their experiences, case studies, and best practices. Many of the talks will include a discussion of the value of bringing children outside to interact with nature. Speakers will include:
- Dr. Petter Åkerblom, Movium & Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (Uppsala, Sweden)
- Cam Collyer, Evergreen (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Manfred Dietzen, Grün macht Schule (Berlin, Germany)
- Mary Jackson and Julie Mountain, Learning through Landscapes (Winchester, England)
- Dr. Ko Senda, Environment Design Institute (Tokyo, Japan)
- Bernard Spiegal, Playlink (London, England)
- Birgit Teichmann, Teichmann Landschafts Architekten (Berlin, Germany)
During the conference’s schoolyard tours, we will visit four schoolyards in San Francisco that have each undergone a dramatic change over the last decade to transform their traditional, paved, urban schoolyard into a vibrant outdoor learning and play space. We will also visit three inspiring sites in Berkeley including the Edible Schoolyard, the City of Berkeley’s Adventure Playground, and an elementary school with a green schoolyard created by the school community.
Sign up now to take advantage of early enrollment pricing! Please support this event by helping us to spread the word far and wide. We hope to see you there!
For more information, please visit our conference website at: www.greenschoolyards.org
- Sharon Danks
Engaging Our Grounds: International Green Schoolyard Conference
Sept. 16-18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
sharon at ecoschools dot com