C&NN Connect

Share, Learn, Listen, Lead

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am looking forward to meeting and discussing topics with you all!

I recently viewed the video "Where do the Children Play?" for the second time at a staff meeting where I work.  Once again I found it enjoyable as well as informative for those that are unaware of the changes in our society; the way people view the "natural world" and how lifestyles have changed over the years and restrict our children's time and opportunities to go out and play.  I am viewed as  the crunchy granola teacher at school, the crazy one that takes the kids out in the rain...I am hoping that this video impacted my co workers in some way...I found it frustrating that we did not have a discussion of the film afterwards...I guess I should initiate one over lunch. My close friend and co worker did say to me she was bummed that we weren't listening to the Cat Steven's song...LOL. 

Litttle did he know at the time of writing his song, "Where do the Children Play?", what a hot topic it would be years later!   

I was curious how many of you have heard of the video and/or have seen it? I would be happy to share the information on it or I guess you could just google it.

Deb

Views: 63

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Crunch Granola Deb!

I have heard of the video "Where do the Children Play?" I would love to get it for my school. Although we are an environmental preschool, some adults slip back into the ease of staying inside especially in the winter. Young children and snow gear are hard work for teachers, but well worth it!   I feel like our children should be wrapped in bubble wrap, helmets and wear masks over their nose and mouth, when I hear of all the regulations. We all want our children to be safe, sometimes it gets ridicules.

I was just told (I live in the mountains in snow for 6 solid months) that according to Colorado licencing they have to hear you tell the children not to eat snow. Not only is that unreasonable, but we are very rural and thats the experience of snow. Has anyone heard of any studies done on eating snow? I'm sure it varies in city and rural settings. Theres my rant

Deb, keep plugging for nature!!

Tina

Haven't heard of it, but I will look it up, for sure!

Tina,

I agree licensing can be a bit ridiculous...I got in a bit of trouble the other day because I took my class outside and it wasn't quite 28 degrees!  They were so happy to be the first ones out on the newly fallen snow, the sun was shining and the wind had stopped howling...it was a glorious morning!  I took my scolding with a smile on my face:-)

As far as eating snow...we have brought snow inside in clear containers to watch it melt and then observed the dirt and debris floating in it...pollution?  I'm not sure..I get the feeling it's not as clean as it was 30 years ago when I was eating it!

But then again...a little dirt never hurt!

I would love to hear more about your school...I'm always looking for new ideas...

Deb

Christina (Tina) Person said:

I have heard of the video "Where do the Children Play?" I would love to get it for my school. Although we are an environmental preschool, some adults slip back into the ease of staying inside especially in the winter. Young children and snow gear are hard work for teachers, but well worth it!   I feel like our children should be wrapped in bubble wrap, helmets and wear masks over their nose and mouth, when I hear of all the regulations. We all want our children to be safe, sometimes it gets ridicules.

I was just told (I live in the mountains in snow for 6 solid months) that according to Colorado licencing they have to hear you tell the children not to eat snow. Not only is that unreasonable, but we are very rural and thats the experience of snow. Has anyone heard of any studies done on eating snow? I'm sure it varies in city and rural settings. Theres my rant

Tina

Can you post as a video blog here? I'm not sure if it's allowed. Our school definitely welcomes teaching where the child will learn ...so on the playground, a walk through the neighborhood, or in the classroom. I'd love to see the video but you get my vote for teaching in the rain. I skipped to school with my daughter the other day seeing if we could count 100 raindrops on our tongue before we got to class. Lots of giggles and she practiced couting to 100. Cheers to you! Stephanie

Christina (Tina) Person said:

Tina

Holy cow!  And I thought Minnesota was bad about regulations!

Have ordered the video and I'm very excited about seeing it.

Pat

I've seen the film and am so glad that it is being screened at staff meetings across the country (world?), but I hear you: the lack of discussion must be frustrating!  That's a great idea to pick up the conversation over lunch, etc.  I would think it probably has made an impact on your colleagues even if you're not seeing evidence of that yet.  Small steps....I was part of a team that invited Vivian Paley to speak and work with children at a school in Brooklyn (one where play was not being used enough in the early childhood classrooms), and another teacher spearheaded a book group reading A Child's Work:  The Importance of Fantasy Play.  The book group was a great way to get teachers discussing play before Vivian came to town.  Your teachers could read the book that the film was inspired by, Elizabeth Goodenough's Secret Spaces of Childhood.   As far as I know the film is for sale for $20 online, which is affordable for any teacher.  I recently wrote about this film in relation to the Play Advocacy Movement (if it has a formal term?), on a recent blog post.  And my own work is producing  films set in nature, based upon children's imaginative play.  So the vignettes of children playing outdoors, in forts and with nature journals, in "Where do the Children Play?" stood out to me as close to my work.   Thanks for your work in getting children outside, and happy playing!

Thanks Deb for this post on "Where do the Children Play?" and thanks to all the responders.  I am on the Board of the Washington Child Care Resource & Referral Network that works with 9000 licensed child care facilities in the State of Washington.  I will get this video and hope to get it into the state network.  The physical, mental and cognitive challenges we face with our children are daunting, and the headwinds are strong and getting stronger, especially the fancy new mobile electronics that seem to captivate children and adults.  We need to double our efforts to get kids playing outside and unplugged.  If you can tap into your state Child Care Resource & Referral Network (there is one is every state), please do so.  Thanks again.  John

John, I'd love to talk to you about your network as we take our Let's Go Chipper Into the Great Outdoors program into schools and communities to excite and ready young children for explorations in nature. It would be great to learn more about tapping into the network. I just sent you a "friend" request.  www.letsgochipper.com - books, music, movies, programs to get kids ready to go... Cheers! Stephanie

John Thielbahr said:

Thanks Deb for this post on "Where do the Children Play?" and thanks to all the responders.  I am on the Board of the Washington Child Care Resource & Referral Network that works with 9000 licensed child care facilities in the State of Washington.  I will get this video and hope to get it into the state network.  The physical, mental and cognitive challenges we face with our children are daunting, and the headwinds are strong and getting stronger, especially the fancy new mobile electronics that seem to captivate children and adults.  We need to double our efforts to get kids playing outside and unplugged.  If you can tap into your state Child Care Resource & Referral Network (there is one is every state), please do so.  Thanks again.  John

Hi Stephanie and thanks for the "Friend" request.  I would be happy to connect with you about the network.  Probably best to do that via email.  Give me a shout at john.thielbahr003@gmail.com.  I look forward to hearing about "Let's Go Chipper."

Stephanie Rach-Wilson said:
John, I'd love to talk to you about your network as we take our Let's Go Chipper Into the Great Outdoors program into schools and communities to excite and ready young children for explorations in nature. It would be great to learn more about tapping into the network. I just sent you a "friend" request.  www.letsgochipper.com - books, music, movies, programs to get kids ready to go... Cheers! Stephanie

John Thielbahr said:

You may be able to get a copy of Where Do The Children Play from Alliance for Childhood  (www.allianceforchildhood.org).  I show the film to college students, sometimes also in conjunction with training in using outdoor space as early learning environments.  The Alliance has some nifty follow up questions after viewing the film, which help to prompt discussion.  Before we view the film, I do a guided recall of an outdoor space from childhood, and we talk about the details of that space and what made it memorable.  One thing that has come up from several viewings is that for the most part, the college students DID grow up with outdoor play (phew!).  Another important piece is how the college students, many of whom are mentoring young children, think of technology (a given for this generation) and time outside.  Thanks for bringing this generative film up to this group!

Jane

Hello Debbie

I too find it frustrating that teachers in my past work place dont feel the same passions I do about exposing kids to all kinds of nature  and outdoor projects.  I have recently worked in after school programs the past few years and find if you dont get kids exposed early, they think you are a crunchy granola nut by the time they are 8 or so.  I can always get the little ones to be interested in nature walks and so on and noticing things around them but older kids who were not exposed to nature regularly start to think its corny and silly.  

A lot of teachers these days are focusing  on the academics and dont understand the needs for environmental exposure.     Going outside is a hassle for a lot of educators because it takes away from academics or they just expose kids to the school playground and watch them play. 

When I was a kid we didnt need nature type play areas because after school and on weekends me and my friends were in the pond, trees, rocks the whole time basically.  These days, kids dont get to play outside with friends on their own as much, so they really need different types of playgrounds at the schools.  Hopefully things will change.

I have joined this site recently also, and I am definately enjoying connecting with other people who share my interests in nature and realizing the importance of getting kids exposed to the outdoors.  Glad you are part of the group.  I will have to check out that DVD.  Thanks for the info.

Sharon

RSS

© 2014   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service