Hello Everyone

I'm interested to know what measures you have to put in place regarding handwashing procedures on trips with children.

Do you only go places where public facilities are available?
Does your Govt or management have procedures that you must follow?
What do you do as a family?
Anyone got any interesting research on this matter?
What about going to the toilet outdoors?
Is what you have to do affected by the age of the children in your care?

Please do share your thoughts. 

Thank you
Juliet

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Juliet,

Lot's of questions about going in the bush. This is quite a subject of which I have long experience and will endeavor to answer over a period of time.

Washing hands is a simpler question. Most the group s I am involved with have procedures that I use myself. They carry a spray bottle with a mix of tea tree oil (a natural anticeptic), sometimes eucalyptus oil and water. This is sprayed on the hands after toilet and before food. The hands are then rinsed after water.

The risk of diarrhoea or stomach problems hangs over group camping situations and I have found this practice has been particularly sound in avoiding stomach problems with campers young and old.

Cheers,

Yeshi
Thanks Yeshi

I haven't heard of this as an environmentally friendly hand washing solution even though I've known of tea tree's antiseptic qualities.

Best wishes
Juliet
I am sure there are more out there.
Teatree is well known for its anticeptic qualities amongst some of the aborigional communities.

Juliet Robertson said:
Thanks Yeshi

I haven't heard of this as an environmentally friendly hand washing solution even though I've known of tea tree's antiseptic qualities.

Best wishes
Juliet
Hi Juliet,
Having had to use the outdoor "facilities" just today on a hike with my daughter, I thought I'd chime in on our family routine. We've taught our girl to find a hidden place well off a trail, dig a little hole, do her business using nearby grass/horsetails/leaves (and not from poisonous/irritating plants, which we've taught her) for toilet paper, cover it up and continue on. If vegetation won't cut it, I always have tissues on hand and bury these well to decompose after use. I carry baby wipes with me for washing up on hikes and camping trips. We also carry a first aid kit of bandages, tea tree oil and Boiron gels: calendula, BiteCare, and arnica. I like the idea from Yeshi for using a tea tree mixture for cleansing.

Cheers,
Carmen
Thanks Carmen

We have an interesting situation arising in Scotland where pre-schools are being told they must have running water to wash children's hands before eating.

In Sweden, they follow the proverb that one needs to walk 7 bushes to go to the toilet outdoors!

Best wishes
Juliet
Good news! Health Protection Scotland and the Care Commission (CC) have decided that provided the Secret Garden Outdoor Nursery ensure 10 key points are covered - risk assessments, info to parents, etc., etc. the nursery may follow the hygiene procedures it has tried and tested. It appears mainly as an exercise in the CC covering themselves in guidelines and regulations to allow for the change. What this does mean is that Scotland will be the first country to have guidelines about outdoor hygiene for young children, after school clubs, etc. This is worth remembering if a similar incident arises in another country.

RSS

© 2019   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service