C&NN Connect

Share, Learn, Listen, Lead

We're hearing about all sorts of events in April that are being organized by C&NN Connect members, regional leaders, family clubs, natural leaders and natural teachers. We'd love to hear what you are thinking about or already have planned - a beach clean-up, a family hike, a week of science classes in a nearby creek? 

Let's G.O.! Just click "▶ Reply to This"  below, and post your news here. We'll be letting others know on Twitter, Facebook and in the Let's G.O.! news blasts.

Join the FUN and put your city on the map -- share your celebration of nature today!

Views: 426

Replies to This Discussion

OutdoorBabyNetwork.comwill be offering a weekly activities in the Roaring Fork Valley during the month of April.  Some members will also be offering events across the nation. We will post more information once we have all the details.  These activities will be promoted to families with young children who are just learning the ins and out of outdoor travel.

On the last weekend we will offer a camping trip for families who have never camped before.

In Jackson, WY, we are planning a Let's Get Outside (G.O.) event in conjunction with the annual EcoFair on April 23.  Every year the EcoFair has exhibits, demonstrations, and vendors for adults and activities for kids.  This year, the kids activities will be themed around Let's G.O.  There will be geocaching, supervised free play, and child- & family-friendly Natural Service projects like building bird boxes and planting native seeds.  We are excited for Let's G.O. to become a part of the EcoFair in Jackson!

Plans are also in the works for an event in Cheyenne on Earth Day.  More to come on that event!
Hi Jody,   I have a 6 month old granddaughter who is being groomed to be an outdoor baby. Her parents and I look forward to hearing about your camping/hiking adventures with the baby! and whatever else you learn along the way about getting kids connected to nature. Happy trails to you!

Jody Elliott said:
My wife and I with our 5 month old are planning a road trip in our new-to-us travel camper where we will be documenting destination/product reviews while providing as much education and inspiration as possible to children and adults alike.  Our new venture Hike A Lot (hikealot.com) will feature printable worksheets, as well as product reviews that make outdoor exploration much more comfortable and fun!  We'll be travelling in the KY,TN, OH, IN, VA areas, so if you'd like to plan a meet, let me know :)  Want to know what it's like camping with a 5 month old?  We'll let you know.  We are very excited to be a part of these boards to learn as much as we can to help extend our reach into the realm of environmental education.

Stuart, what an amazing experience you are offering!  Stargazing is at the top of my list for awesome nature experiences I have had. There is something magical about the night sky.  Thanks for making it possible for families.  Love to hear how it goes.

Stuart Pendleton said:

This year the Science teacher and I have agreed to host several outside nights.  In April and May we are planning moonrise hikes at a nearby natural area.  We hope families will come and explore, look for wildlife, watch the moon rise and finish our hike by the light of the moon.  In Santa Fe we are so lucky to have beautiful natural areas and hiking trails very close to town and our school.  The students are always begging us "take us to the Arroyo."  We hope that seeing that a family evening outside with classmates and parents will inspire them to connect with nature and make it a part of their lives.

Here in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area, Grass Lake Sanctuary and REI are teaming up to tame the invasive garlic mustard in the magical area we call 'Pooh Country'. Families are invited to play, serve and celebrate with us Saturday, April 16 from 12 - 3 pm.

Pulling garlic mustard is easy and as we help the woods become healthy, we also connect ourselves to nature. I personally look forward to sharing my love of nature with 'kids of all ages'. We will explore  the woods to see what plants have sprung up in Spring and finish with a tasty treat.

As the land steward, I feel excited that we are partnering with REI and Let's G.O.! Get Outside to help further the awareness of the wonders of nature through service.

GLS provides other ways to stay connected to nature.  Everyone is invited to our annual 'Earth Connections Day' on June 25  as well as monthly volunteer days. We look forward to sharing this special place with you.  Whether you live in the area or are visiting, we invite you to contact us to find out what is happening.  E-mail me or check out our website www.grasslakesanctuary.org

Here is my favorite Garlic mustard recipe:

Scrub and boil new potatoes. When soft, add washed garlic mustard leaves and finely diced stems, organic salted butter, and a splash or two of organic nut or seed milk (almond,hazelnut, hemp). Barely mash the potatoes. The hot potatoes will gently wilt the garlic mustard leaves and bring out its outrageous flavors! The nut/seed milk will add a hint of savory and sweet to offset-and enhance-any bitter.

I also love to wash, shred and sprinkle the leaves on a pizza!

Avery Cleary said:

Stuart, what an amazing experience you are offering!  Stargazing is at the top of my list for awesome nature experiences I have had. There is something magical about the night sky.  Thanks for making it possible for families.  Love to hear how it goes.

Stuart Pendleton said:

This year the Science teacher and I have agreed to host several outside nights.  In April and May we are planning moonrise hikes at a nearby natural area.  We hope families will come and explore, look for wildlife, watch the moon rise and finish our hike by the light of the moon.  In Santa Fe we are so lucky to have beautiful natural areas and hiking trails very close to town and our school.  The students are always begging us "take us to the Arroyo."  We hope that seeing that a family evening outside with classmates and parents will inspire them to connect with nature and make it a part of their lives.

Chrysalis Farms is a delightful environment to "get outside (G.O.)".  My husband and I offer our 33 acre Farm located on the Clackamas River to children and families to enjoy nature.  The Farm has 16 pea fowl, 11 chickens (one rooster), a farm cat, and two Australian Shepherds.  Each "beating heart" has a personal name and with the exception of the pea fowl each can enjoy special attention. The Farm has two small fishing ponds, forest, and fields.  We provide educational and fun opportunities to Home School children, The Boys and Girls Club, and other children and families who want to "G.O."   The experience is our way of sharing with others this beautiful place.  There isn't a fee.  We do ask our guesst to bring their own picnic for meals and to ensure that children are supervised.   Please visit our web site at www.chrysalisfarms.org to learn more about our vision and activities.   Mary K. Kohles-Baker

‘Let’s G.O.!’   Events in Bozeman, MT

A collaboration of ten community-minded nonprofits, businesses and agencies throughout Gallatin Valley Montana are offering over 20 ‘Let’s G.O.!’ (Get Outside) events throughout April.  A community calendar of activities includes park explorations, tours of local school outdoor classrooms and gardens, family outings, astronomy, Earth Day celebrations, screen free week activities, archeology, frog explorations, trail work and more.  

Let’s G.O.! kicks off April 1st with a new ground breaking documentary, PLAY AGAIN. This emotionally moving and humorous film follows six teenagers who, like the “average American child,” spend five to fifteen hours a day behind screens. PLAY AGAIN unplugs these teens and takes them on their first wilderness adventure – no electricity, no cell phone coverage, no virtual reality.

“What they do not know, they will not protect.

And what they do not protect, they will lose.”

-Charles Jordan, PLAY AGAIN

“For many people, especially children, screens have become the de facto medium by which the greater world is experienced. A virtual world of digitally transmitted pictures, voices, and scenarios has become more real to this generation than the world of sun, water, air, and living organisms, including fellow humans” says Film Director, Tonje Schei.

Through the voices of children and leading experts including journalist Richard Louv,

sociologist Juliet Schor, environmental writer Bill McKibben, educators Diane Levin and

Nancy Carlsson-Paige, neuroscientist Gary Small, parks advocate Charles Jordan, and

geneticist David Suzuki, PLAY AGAIN investigates the consequences of a childhood

removed from nature and encourages action for a sustainable future.

PLAY AGAIN is free and open to the public. The documentary will be shown at 7 p.m. April 1st at the Museum of the Rockies Hagar Auditorium. The film will be followed by a brief discussion and outdoor-related door prizes.

PLAY AGAIN is brought to you by Learning By Nature, Museum of the Rockies and REI - Bozeman. For more information on the film, Let’s G.O.! collaborators, and a community calendar of all Let’s G.O.! events and outings throughout April, look for ‘Let’s G.O. Gallatin Valley’ in the public Google Calendars or visit www.LearningByNature.org.

Hi Bobbi,  Exciting to hear all that you are able to offer though collaboration!  The calendar of events is really rich. We have shown Play Again a couple of times here in the Bay Area of California and it IS compelling. Look forward to hearing about your Let's G.O.! kick off showing and all the other events - the frog explorations sound really fun to me!

Bobbi j Geise said:

‘Let’s G.O.!’   Events in Bozeman, MT

A collaboration of ten community-minded nonprofits, businesses and agencies throughout Gallatin Valley Montana are offering over 20 ‘Let’s G.O.!’ (Get Outside) events throughout April.  A community calendar of activities includes park explorations, tours of local school outdoor classrooms and gardens, family outings, astronomy, Earth Day celebrations, screen free week activities, archeology, frog explorations, trail work and more.  

Let’s G.O.! kicks off April 1st with a new ground breaking documentary, PLAY AGAIN. This emotionally moving and humorous film follows six teenagers who, like the “average American child,” spend five to fifteen hours a day behind screens. PLAY AGAIN unplugs these teens and takes them on their first wilderness adventure – no electricity, no cell phone coverage, no virtual reality.

“What they do not know, they will not protect.

And what they do not protect, they will lose.”

-Charles Jordan, PLAY AGAIN

“For many people, especially children, screens have become the de facto medium by which the greater world is experienced. A virtual world of digitally transmitted pictures, voices, and scenarios has become more real to this generation than the world of sun, water, air, and living organisms, including fellow humans” says Film Director, Tonje Schei.

Through the voices of children and leading experts including journalist Richard Louv,

sociologist Juliet Schor, environmental writer Bill McKibben, educators Diane Levin and

Nancy Carlsson-Paige, neuroscientist Gary Small, parks advocate Charles Jordan, and

geneticist David Suzuki, PLAY AGAIN investigates the consequences of a childhood

removed from nature and encourages action for a sustainable future.

PLAY AGAIN is free and open to the public. The documentary will be shown at 7 p.m. April 1st at the Museum of the Rockies Hagar Auditorium. The film will be followed by a brief discussion and outdoor-related door prizes.

PLAY AGAIN is brought to you by Learning By Nature, Museum of the Rockies and REI - Bozeman. For more information on the film, Let’s G.O.! collaborators, and a community calendar of all Let’s G.O.! events and outings throughout April, look for ‘Let’s G.O. Gallatin Valley’ in the public Google Calendars or visit www.LearningByNature.org.

Lana, Sounds like a fun time in 'Pooh Country' - great way to play , serve and celebrate all in one! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Lana Jerome said:

Here in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area, Grass Lake Sanctuary and REI are teaming up to tame the invasive garlic mustard in the magical area we call 'Pooh Country'. Families are invited to play, serve and celebrate with us Saturday, April 16 from 12 - 3 pm.

Pulling garlic mustard is easy and as we help the woods become healthy, we also connect ourselves to nature. I personally look forward to sharing my love of nature with 'kids of all ages'. We will explore  the woods to see what plants have sprung up in Spring and finish with a tasty treat.

As the land steward, I feel excited that we are partnering with REI and Let's G.O.! Get Outside to help further the awareness of the wonders of nature through service.

GLS provides other ways to stay connected to nature.  Everyone is invited to our annual 'Earth Connections Day' on June 25  as well as monthly volunteer days. We look forward to sharing this special place with you.  Whether you live in the area or are visiting, we invite you to contact us to find out what is happening.  E-mail me or check out our website www.grasslakesanctuary.org
Wow.  This thread is really really inspiring.  So many doing amazing things.  Looks like April will definitely be a month to be remembered!  Great job guys and gals!

We're so excited to share our NEW natural playspace with Boston families! We've got a stream where kids can build a dam, a dirt-digging area, a shelter-building spot, and much more. Come out anytime - it's free. We're having a Nature Play Date on Saturday, April 9: see info below.

At Mass Audubon's Boston Nature Center, we love to play! Drop in anytime to enjoy our new nature play area. Dig in the dirt, make a dam in the stream, or build a shelter. We'll have staff on hand to provide digging tools, musical instruments, and art activities. Unstructured outdoor play is a fun way to develop creativity and a deep connection to nature. While your children play, you can play alongside them or just relax in the seating area. We will also offer classes (fee required) about gardening for children and adults, as well as a program about the Asian Longhorned Beetle, a potential threat to local trees. This event is part of a nationwide, youth-led Children & Nature Network initiative to rally people of all ages to be active, have fun, and connect with nature. FREE. Check out our website for more info: www.massaudubon.org/Boston

RSS

© 2014   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service