Please teach me, connect me, and assist me in protecting Hurricane Creek from the bypass they want to build straight through it. See http://childrenandnature.ning.com/group/alabama-nature-network/foru....

Views: 112

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Alina! Warm welcome to C&NN Connect. I'm the forum host. I'm glad you found us and are making yourself at home in discussions and groups. This group is a great place to share your discussion about saving the creek. I hope you get feedback.  Please let me know if you have any questions about the network, or see our FAQ page. Hope to see you here again soon.

Here in North Idaho we are fortunate to have local non-profits which serve as 'watch dogs' for efforts such as this.  There is a local Waterkeeper Alliance chapter -- Hurricane Creekkeeper creekkeeper@hurricane-creek.org.  I would also look for other 'conservation organizations' that you might be able to team up with.  For Waterkeeper check out www.waterkeeper.org .  Good luck!

Hi Dennison,

Love your work in Sandpoint, where I used to live (90-98) before moving to Pullman.  Had occasion to visit with Susan Drumheller of Idaho Conservation League on a couple of occasions with Tom Lamar, ED of Moscow's Palouse Clearwater Environmental Institute (PCEI), where I served on the Board.  Thanks for this reply to Alina's post.  I noticed a past post from you to Donna Drader, who also worked at PCEI, about a regional approach to some work you are doing.  I would encourage you to contact Tom Lamar at PCEI.  His work is also regional.  All the best,  John

Dennison Webb said:

Here in North Idaho we are fortunate to have local non-profits which serve as 'watch dogs' for efforts such as this.  There is a local Waterkeeper Alliance chapter -- Hurricane Creekkeeper creekkeeper@hurricane-creek.org.  I would also look for other 'conservation organizations' that you might be able to team up with.  For Waterkeeper check out www.waterkeeper.org .  Good luck!

Dennison, the Hurricane Creekkeeper works directly for our nonprofit. :) But it's a one-man shop, and there is much to do since the tornado. Does adding an educational, child-directed component to a protected area facilitate community outreach and creating a "constituency" for the creek? Or would we be spending our limited energies in a way that would not directly impact community involvement?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Dennison Webb said:

John thanks for the info.  Will check it out for sure.  Alina well I guess that isn't going to be your answer...I definitely understand having "limited resources", and looking at how to best accomplish your goals.  It seems to me that your goal is to stop the by-pass, correct?   To do so is going to take a large community-based effort.  From my experience (which by no means is the 'way' ) getting community involvement is critical.  Basically, with the community behind your effort you have a) more resources and b) more weight when it comes to having a voice.  Secondly, while involving a local youth project may be advantageous down the road I would keep it open to all community members.  What about starting a local "Friends of Hurricane Creek" club/non-profit which could educate folks on Hurricane Creek and the conservation issues surrounding it?  

RSS

© 2021   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service