Hi lovers of nature,

My name is Penny and I'm a Wildlife Education Officer at a zoo in Australia (are there any Aussies here?).  I just launched my first blog www.wildlifefun4kids.com with the aim to help parents instil a love of wildlife into their children. It includes wildlife exploration, wildlife product reviews, fauna foot fridays, play for possums and finding great activities away from the nest.

Of course, I know it's imperative to save wildlife habitat to save wildlife but many people would prefer to just learn about wildlife. I'm hoping to eventually build readers and create actions that readers can easily do to help wildlife but most importantly, their habitat! It is still in the early development stages but I hope I can influence more wildlife love in the world because that's what I'm very passionate about.

I'm looking forward to meeting other like-minded nature lovers and learn about other fantastic blogs/websites out that have a similar philosophy.  

Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for letting us all know who you are and what you're up to! My blog is outdoor orientated  (I'm a teacher, Get me OUTSIDE here!)- but my next blog post is about red squirrels! Best wishes

HI Juliet,

Nawww red squirrels! I've never seen a squirrel (other than on the computer of course!). Sad, isn't it.  One day I will.

I had a look at your blog. It's wonderful. I've already subscribed. I'm looking forward to the Squirrel post already!

Penny

Hi Penny,

Nice to meet you Penny. I'm Kari orgianlly from Norway, but I  live in Canada. My website is called http://www.activekidsclub.com/

-Discovering the wonder of nature with kids and adults. Get inspired with simple solutions. Let's play outside!

Kari

Hi Kari,

What a wonderful website! I'll be looking through all the articles in there for things I can do with my toddler!

Pen

Hello Penny, your website is a great initiative. .. orientated as a resource for parents. It would be wonderful if there was a "play & learn section that kids (and adults) could have fun using ... some sort of participatory (interactive) content?

Hi John,

Sounds fantastic but can you give me some examples?  I was thinking of installing a community gallery, where children and parents could upload  photos of wildlife sightings.

I'm very new to website design (and I also have 6 month old twins and toddler) and it takes me over a week to identify a way to add something new onto my website. I love, love, love contrustive critisim and suggestions though, so keep them coming!

Penny

Hi Penny - I'm an Aussie!  I'm jenny, an early childhood teacher with a passion for getting children learning and having fun outside.  My blog is http://progressiveearlychildhoodeducation.blogspot.com

Off to have a look at yours!

Hi Penny - This C&NN community page uses the NING template with all the features to upload photos etc. Your website could incorporate a similar template with your design preferences for your community gallery.

Kids may spontaneously engage and involve parents if your website has a kid's fun section with some simple "click, drag, drop fun learning activity" with a reward (scores, virtual gifts) f you have a good "little game" it may get kids "attracted" to your website and accept it as a resource for IDEAS on OUTDOOR activities together. Perhaps even some simple widgets like here:  home for kids, just in case the kids are looking at the site over the shoulder of adults.

Just consider the fundamentals of:

1) your intended "target audience"  - Parents only / parents & kids / kids only?

2) your proposition - teaching & activity resource parents can use for kids / that kids can use too

3) the values they will gain - ideas for outdoor activities/ incentive to get experiences or pics to share on yr web?

ETC

The  decisions on your website content, design, features are focused on strategies to optimize these 3 factors.

I hope this helped... and really, your website is rather charming.

Penny Whitehouse said:

Hi John,

Sounds fantastic but can you give me some examples?  I was thinking of installing a community gallery, where children and parents could upload  photos of wildlife sightings.

I'm very new to website design (and I also have 6 month old twins and toddler) and it takes me over a week to identify a way to add something new onto my website. I love, love, love contrustive critisim and suggestions though, so keep them coming!

Penny

Hi Jenny,

I'm already following you on Twitter. :) I love your blog!

Yay, I'm glad there's two of us. Surely there's more though!

Jennifer K said:

Hi Penny - I'm an Aussie!  I'm jenny, an early childhood teacher with a passion for getting children learning and having fun outside.  My blog is http://progressiveearlychildhoodeducation.blogspot.com

Off to have a look at yours!

Thanks so much for the ideas John. I have been trying to add abowmans frog gadget to my sidebar but it's just not working. I need to go to the experts on that one!

The Ning template sounds great (I've encounted that template on lots of websites) but I don't have the readership for that yet. I guess I better figure out who my main target readership is.  Obviously, it's primarily parents at this stage but perhaps I should make it parents and children. I am creating a heap of printables at the moment that can be used by both but they really are very different audiences, I'm not sure how it would work on one blog/website.

John Wong said:

Hi Penny - This C&NN community page uses the NING template with all the features to upload photos etc. Your website could incorporate a similar template with your design preferences for your community gallery.

Kids may spontaneously engage and involve parents if your website has a kid's fun section with some simple "click, drag, drop fun learning activity" with a reward (scores, virtual gifts) f you have a good "little game" it may get kids "attracted" to your website and accept it as a resource for IDEAS on OUTDOOR activities together. Perhaps even some simple widgets like here:  home for kids, just in case the kids are looking at the site over the shoulder of adults.

Just consider the fundamentals of:

1) your intended "target audience"  - Parents only / parents & kids / kids only?

2) your proposition - teaching & activity resource parents can use for kids / that kids can use too

3) the values they will gain - ideas for outdoor activities/ incentive to get experiences or pics to share on yr web?

ETC

The  decisions on your website content, design, features are focused on strategies to optimize these 3 factors.

I hope this helped... and really, your website is rather charming.

Penny Whitehouse said:

Hi John,

Penny

RSS

© 2019   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service