C&NN Connect

Share, Learn, Listen, Lead

Hi Natural Family Network members!

It’s IditaNature time again, so I thought I’d send out a reminder about this year’s upcoming outdoor challenge (March 3 – 17, 2012). This activity is by no means just an Alaskan way of getting kids outdoors…it can be used by any family, family nature club, or school group anywhere in the world (since Iditarod sled dog race fans span the globe). To meet the IditaNature challenge, kids or families spend as much time outdoors as the sled dog race is long...so 1 to 1.5 hrs/day to meet the 1,150-minute match to race miles. I’ve attached here a 2012 IditaNature information handout that you can share with friends and colleagues or use to help plan IditaNature activities in your region.

IditaNatureInfo_Updated%202012.docx

And if any of you wind up trying this fun outdoor challenge with kids or families this year, I’d love to hear feedback about your experience!

Cheers,

Carmen

Homer, Alaska

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Carmen! You are such an inspiration.  I often think of you and your Homer mud pit.  And when Southern Californians start complaining about the "cold" -- I will certainly hold you and your IditaNature activities up as an example for them to follow!  Thank you!

This is a great idea. My family recently went dogsledding in the Canadian Rockies, and it was a blast.

When I launch Mountain Youth Experience, I'll be introducing a similar challenge: The Seven Summits Family Expedition. Each minute in the outdoors as a family, you climb one meter.

Australia—Kosciuszko 2,228 m (37 hours, 8 minutes)

Indonesia—Carstensz Pyramid 4,884 m (81 hours, 24 minutes)

Antarctica—Vinson Massif 4,892 m (81 hours, 32 minutes)

Europe—Mount Elbrus 5,642 m (94 hours, 2 minutes)

Africa—Kilimanjaro 5,892 m (98 hours, 12 minutes)

North America—Mount McKinley (Denali) 6,194 m (103 hours, 14 minutes)

South America—Aconcagua 6,962 m (116 hours, 2 minutes)

Asia—Mount Everest 8,848 m (147 hours, 28 minutes)

This meant to be a year-long challenge that will get families out to experience all four seasons in their area. Or, families can pick the highest mountain or hill in their province/state/country and play their way up to the top.

Thanks, Michele! Great to hear from you and hope you can celebrate Iditarod season with fun in the sun down there. :)

Michele Whiteaker said:

Thanks, Carmen! You are such an inspiration.  I often think of you and your Homer mud pit.  And when Southern Californians start complaining about the "cold" -- I will certainly hold you and your IditaNature activities up as an example for them to follow!  Thank you!

I love the Seven Summits Challenge, Ken!! I think I'll try that later in the year when the IditaNature kids have migrated back to the couch or computer. Thanks so much for sharing what you're doing!

Ken Schmaltz said:

This is a great idea. My family recently went dogsledding in the Canadian Rockies, and it was a blast.

When I launch Mountain Youth Experience, I'll be introducing a similar challenge: The Seven Summits Family Expedition. Each minute in the outdoors as a family, you climb one meter.

Australia—Kosciuszko 2,228 m (37 hours, 8 minutes)

Indonesia—Carstensz Pyramid 4,884 m (81 hours, 24 minutes)

Antarctica—Vinson Massif 4,892 m (81 hours, 32 minutes)

Europe—Mount Elbrus 5,642 m (94 hours, 2 minutes)

Africa—Kilimanjaro 5,892 m (98 hours, 12 minutes)

North America—Mount McKinley (Denali) 6,194 m (103 hours, 14 minutes)

South America—Aconcagua 6,962 m (116 hours, 2 minutes)

Asia—Mount Everest 8,848 m (147 hours, 28 minutes)

This meant to be a year-long challenge that will get families out to experience all four seasons in their area. Or, families can pick the highest mountain or hill in their province/state/country and play their way up to the top.

RSS

© 2014   Created by amy pertschuk.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service