I just looked up the National Wildlife Federation's "Great American Backyard Campout" and it is scheduled for Saturday, June 26, 2010. I thought it might be a good idea to start a blog topic here to throw around ideas, tips, etc. for participating in this event. We've got a good 120 families in our group now (not all are active as of now) and this will likely be our "big" summer event!
I will be rallying a group within our group to participate in the planning and development of our plan, but here are a few preliminary ideas I have:
- "host" families from group determine how many family campers they can host in their yards and we could have an online sign-up for "backyard" campgrounds
- hosts could "name" their campgrounds and even make signs
- each "host" family could organize meals with their family groups
- some meal suggestions:
- families sign up to prepare various meals for their "campground"
- Potluck each meal, with campers signing up for what they want to bring
- s'mores, of course!
- "campground" story hour before bed... anyone with traditional camp stories (age appropriate for campers) would be great
- camp fires in appropriate locations (not here in suburban San Diego)
Hopefully that's enough to get some conversation started?! Anyone else promoting participation in the event? Has anyone participated in prior years? If so, how/what did you do? I'm eager to hear other ideas!
Family Adventures in Nature (San Diego)